Belize Snorkeling Tips
The Caribbean sea has some of the most crystal-clear waters, making it a great place to snorkel and view the diverse and colourful marine life. To make the most of your Belize snorkeling trip, make sure to practice, wear the right equipment, and protect the reef.
If you’ve never been snorkeling, or haven’t been in a while, we always recommend practicing on shore before heading into open water. A pool is a great place to get used to the equipment to try out breathing with a snorkel and ensure you’re comfortable.
Wear the Right Equipment
You’ll need a proper-fitting mask, snorkel, and fins to participate in this fabulous activity. Make sure the mask is comfortable and you have selected the right mask that fits your face shape to ensure it does not leak when underwater. We recommend a dry snorkel to prevent water from flooding into your mouth and fins should fit a little bit loose as they tend to shrink a bit in the water. You can also choose to wear a lifejacket for safety and buoyancy.
Protect the Reef
The Belize Barrier Reef is beautiful but extremely fragile. Never touch the reef and always be mindful of your fins. Respect the fish and marine life by keeping your distance and not feeding them. It’s also important to wear reef-safe, biodegradable sunscreen, as regular sunscreen can actually harm the coral and marine life. As the saying goes, “Take only photos, leave only bubbles.”
To keep our water clean and beautiful, we also encourage snorkelers and divers to remove at least one piece of trash if you should discover any during your trip.
Belize Dive Haven is located right offshore of the beautiful Belize Barrier Reef and many of our guests enjoy snorkeling right from the beach. If you’d like to experience the underwater beauty of Belize, book a discounted vacation package at Belize Dive Haven.
Until April 11, 2020, a snorkeling package at Belize Dive Haven is only $1,899. This includes:
- 6-days of snorkeling (2 snorkel trip per day with private boat and guide)
- Private tender transportation to and from the Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport
- A large private air-conditioned room with a balcony
- 3 freshly prepared meals from locally sourced ingredients
- We can accommodate dietary restrictions required with advance notice upon booking.
- Enjoy our magnificent 260 ft swimming pool – the largest in the hemisphere
- Add a full week local spirits alcohol package for only $150
- Additional snorkeling excursions are available for $50/trip
Just 30 miles from Belize City, Belize Dive Haven is located in pristine Turneffe Atoll. Consisting of creeks, lagoons, mangrove islands and cays, the atoll is home to over 500 species of fish, 65 different species of stony corals as well as birds, turtles, manatees and dolphins.